- This event has passed.
The Hungry Ghost: A Biopsychosocial Perspective on Addiction, from Heroin to Workaholism [ONLINE]
February 22 @ 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm
by Mind Medicine Australia
For twelve years Dr. Gabor Maté was the staff physician at a clinic for drug-addicted people in Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside, where he worked with patients challenged by hard-core drug addiction, mental illness and HIV, including at Vancouver Supervised Injection Site. In his most recent bestselling book In The Realm of Hungry Ghosts, he shows that their addictions do not
represent a discrete set of medical disorders; rather, they merely reflect the extreme end of a continuum of addiction, mostly hidden, that runs throughout our society. In The Realm Of Hungry Ghosts draws on cutting-edge science to illuminate where and how addictions originate and what they have in common.
This session will explore:
1. What is the source of addictions?
2. What happens chemically and physiologically in the brains of people with substance dependency or
3. The false “blessings” of addiction as experienced by the addict (e.g., as emotional anaesthetic, as
personality booster, as social lubricant, and so on;)
4. The development of the addicted mind: how early childhood experiences shape the brain;
5. The social basis of addiction in economic, cultural and political dislocation and disempowerment;
6. How much choice does the addict really have, and how much responsibility?
7. Developing a therapeutic relationship in which healing is possible;
8.How to encourage the addict to take responsibility;
9. The prevention of addiction, both in adolescence and before.
Date: Tuesday 23 February 2021
Time: 12:55pm for 1:00pm start – 2:15pm (incl Q&A) (AEDT)
The presentation WILL BEGIN AT 1:00pm.
Location: Online. A link will be emailed to you with the viewing details once you have registered.
Following the presentation, there will be a Q & A panel with Dr Gabor Maté and Tania de Jong AM. This will be an opportunity to engage in a discussion about psychedelic-assisted psychotherapies for mental illness broadly, and what Mind Medicine Australia and other local organisations are doing here in Australia.
- February 22
6:00 pm - 7:00 pm
- Event Category:
- Event Tags:
- addiction, author, substance use disorders
- Mind Medicine Australia