- This event has passed.
MycoTek: The Art & Science of Mycelium Cultivation [ONLINE]
February 21 @ 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
by Psychedelic Society (UK)
There is a growing recognition of the therapeutic and health promoting potential of fungi. Rather than having to rely on buying supplements, one can easily grow their own fungi for consumption, yielding a high quality product for a fraction of the price.
Through a mixture of theory and practice, I will lead you through the process of growing your own lion’s mane fungi. Suitable for beginners, one could not hope to find a simpler way of cultivating their own fungi. It is low cost and requires minimal equipment or expensive tools, it has a very low environmental footprint and is well suited for people who lead busy lives or are tight on space.
While the methods learned here can apply to growing many different types of fungi, this workshop will focus on growing lion’s mane, which is known to have neurohealth promoting properties, among other benefits.
Through this workshop, I intend to empower people by giving them the means of being self sufficient in producing their own mycelium of whatever species they would like to grow, using a simple approach that is highly effective and immensely rewarding. Post workshop, people will have access to a walkthrough guide and variety of other resources to help them get growing.
What we will cover:
- Theory: Why do this, and what are the benefits of lion’s mane?
- An introduction to simple liquid culture techniques
- Preparing grain for inoculation
- How to perform inoculation with liquid mycelium
- Creation of one’s own culture jar lids and use of mycobags
- Using a pressure cooker for sterilisation
- A guided walkthrough using presentation and practical experience of the process from start to finish
- Preparing mycelium grain for consumption with recommended recipes
- ‘How to’ guides and support information which you can use post session
- There will also be time for Q&A